Turmeric has been used since ancient times. Turmeric has different importance among Indian spices. This is the reason why turmeric is found exclusively in every kitchen spice. Turmeric is a special type of medicine and is believed to have divine properties. This is the reason why it is considered auspicious to use turmeric in auspicious works.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is called Haridra in Sanskrit. It is a member of Ginger’s family Zingiberaceae. The botanical name of turmeric is Curcuma longa. Turmeric is a spice that, if not added to Indian cuisine, the food looks a bit incomplete. It is an important part of our kitchen, which is orange-yellow in color and whose smell comes from far away.
It also has a unique taste, with a slight bitterness and black pepper flavor. The yellow color in our food comes only because of turmeric, but there is also a risk of stains from it. If it gets on hands or nails, then its color does not go away immediately. The largest cultivation of turmeric is done in Andhra Pradesh. This is followed by turmeric cultivation in Odisha, Tamilnadu, and Maharashtra.
Medicinal Properties Of Turmeric
Turmeric has many medicinal properties, due to which turmeric is also used as a medicine. It is an excellent antioxidant, antiviral, antifungal, antimutagenic, and anti-inflammatory. So many medicinal properties make turmeric so special that most people use it on the skin in addition to using it in food. For this reason, turmeric is considered very beneficial among all spices.
Types/Species of Turmeric
Many species of turmeric are found, mainly the subsequent four species are utilized in medicine.
- Curcuma longa: This species of turmeric is mainly used as a spice and medicine. Its plants are 60–90 cm tall. The inside color of this turmeric is red or yellow. we use This turmeric to make vegetables in our homes.
- Curcuma aromatics: It is called wild turmeric.
- Curcuma amada: This turmeric tuber and leaves have the smell of camphor and mango. For this reason, it is called Mango ginger.
- Curcuma caesia: This is called black turmeric. According to beliefs, this turmeric has miraculous properties. The use of this turmeric is more in astrology and tantra.
25 Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric increases the immunity of our body, thanks to which it protects against all kinds of infectious diseases. Turmeric has properties that reduce Vata Kapha doshas and it helps in increasing blood in the body. Consumption of turmeric is considered very useful in diabetes.
Let us know which diseases are relieved due to the consumption of turmeric and how should it be consumed.
1. Benefits of turmeric in cold
It is beneficial to consume turmeric in cold due to its effect. Smelling turmeric smoke at night cures a cold. Turmeric shouldn’t be drunk until sometime after smelling it.
2. Turmeric Beneficial in Diabetes
The increased amount of sugar in the blood means diabetes. Turmeric is also beneficial in this condition because one of the reasons for having diabetes is considered to be poor digestion, which slows down the metabolism and also increases the Kapha dosha in this condition. Turmeric has digestive properties, it makes digestion healthy and cures metabolism. Also, being a cough sedative helps in reducing the symptoms of diabetes.
3. Turmeric Helps to Relieve Eye Pain
Using turmeric is beneficial when there is a pain in the eyes or if there is any kind of infection. Boil 1 gram turmeric with 25 ml water and filter it. After filtering, putting it within the eyes repeatedly provides relief from eye pain. Even if you have conjunctivitis, you can get relief with the help of this home remedy. The properties of turmeric are very useful for the eyes.
4. Benefits of Turmeric in-ear discharge
The discharge of thick fluid from the ear is a problem that people in a common language call ear discharge. To get relief from this, boil turmeric in water, sieve, and put it in the ear.
5. Benefits of Turmeric in Pyorrhea
Mixing mustard oil, turmeric and applying it on the gums in the morning and evening, massaging it well and after rinsing with warm water, all types of gum diseases are cured. The quality of turmeric is beneficial for pyorrhea.
6. Benefits of Turmeric Relief from sore throat
In case of sore throat, taking 2-5 grams powder of Ajmoda, Turmeric, Yavakshar, and Chitrak with one spoon of honey ends sore throat.
Also Read: Treatment of Sore Throat
7. Turmeric Helps in reducing cough
Make a powder by roasting turmeric. Taking 1-2 grams of turmeric powder mixed with honey or ghee provides relief in cough.
8. Turmeric Beneficial in Stomach pain
Consuming turmeric even if there is stomach pain provides quick relief from pain. Boil 10 grams of turmeric in 250 ml of water. When you have stomach pain, mix jaggery in it and drink it a little.
9. Benefits of turmeric in piles
Most of the people become constipated due to poor lifestyle and poor diet. Due to constipation, the problem of piles starts later. To get relief from piles, mix 10 grams of turmeric within the milk of Sehund and apply it to the moles. Apart from this, mixing turmeric powder in mustard oil and applying it on warts provides relief in piles.
10. Turmeric benefits for jaundice
Jaundice is such a problem that if not treated properly, later it turns into a very serious problem. This problem is more common in young children. In the case of jaundice, mixing 6 grams of turmeric powder in a bowl and taking it twice a day provides relief from jaundice in 4-5 days. Apart from this, eating 50 grams of curd mixed with 5-10 grams of turmeric powder is additionally beneficial in jaundice.
11. Benefits of Turmeric in Diabetes
Eating Amla juice and honey in 2 to 5 grams of turmeric powder and eating it in the morning and evening is beneficial for diabetes patients. Apart from this, mixing 5-10 grams of honey in a quantity of 20-40 ml by making a quart of turmeric, barberry, tagar, and dividing and taking it in the morning and evening is beneficial in diabetes.
12. Turmeric Beneficial in Breast diseases
It is also beneficial to use turmeric for breast-related problems. Grinding turmeric and Lodhra in water and applying it to the breasts is beneficial in diseases related to the breast.
13. Benefits of Turmeric for Leukorrhea
Turmeric powder and Guggul powder mixed in equal quantity in the morning of 2-5 grams of taking it in the evening is beneficial in leucorrhoea. Apart from this, taking 1-2 grams of turmeric powder after boiling in 100 ml milk and mixing jaggery in it also benefits leucorrhoea.
14. Turmeric benefits for skin diseases
Apart from itching, ringworm, using turmeric is additionally beneficial in skin diseases. For this, mix 2-5 grams of turmeric powder with cow urine and consume it two to three times a day. Apart from this, mixing butter in turmeric powder and applying it in the place of seborrheic dermatitis is also beneficial.
15. Turmeric provides relief from inflammation
If there is swelling in any part of the body, then you can reduce the swelling by using turmeric. For this, mix an equal quantity of turmeric, Pippali, Patha, Chhoti Kateri, Chitrakamul, dry ginger, Pippali, Cumin, and Motha, and make powder. Filter it with a cloth and keep it aside. Eating 2-2 grams of this powder with lukewarm water reduces swelling.
16. Turmeric Beneficial in Hair Loss
Turmeric is considered very useful in preventing hair loss. The reason for hair loss is loss of digestion because due to poor digestion, the roots of hair do not get proper nutrition, due to which hair loss starts. Apart from this, hair fall has also been observed due to the aggravation of Kapha dosha. In such a situation, due to the properties of quenching heat and phlegm in turmeric, it keeps your digestion healthy and prevents hair loss.
Also Read: How to Stop Hair Loss
17. Benefits of Turmeric to Get Rid of Pimples
The benefits of turmeric have also been seen in getting rid of acne. Acne starts coming out due to the creation of more oil in the skin. In such a situation, due to the dry properties of turmeric, it benefits in getting rid of acne by soaking this oil, as well as being useful in keeping away skin diseases due to its dehydrating properties. Also, Pimples on the head are a common problem during the summer season. Pimples cause severe itching and burning in the head. To get relief from this problem, grind turmeric and alcoholic acid, Bhunimb, Triphala, Neem, and Chandan, and massage it on the scalp daily.
Also Read: Tips For Getting Rid Of Pimples
18. Turmeric Beneficial to Treat Wounds
Due to the plantation and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, it is helpful in healing all types of wounds and their inflammation, etc.
19. Benefits of Turmeric to Get Relief from Mouth Ulcer
Mouth ulcers occur due to poor digestion. Turmeric has warm properties, it helps in digestion by strengthening the digestive system, which provides relief in mouth ulcers as well as healing properties, which also helps in the fasting of mouth ulcers. It helps in filling.
20. Benefits of Turmeric to urge Relief from Dry Cough
Whether the cough is dry or sputum, both the Kapha doshas are caused due to prolapse. Turmeric has the property of balancing phlegm, thanks to which it’s beneficial in every sort of cough.
21. Benefits of Turmeric to Get Relief from Joint Pain/arthritis
Turmeric can also be very beneficial in joint pain and swelling because it has warming and anti-inflammatory properties. By consuming, it helps in getting quick relief from pain due to its heat.
22. Benefits of Turmeric to Get Rid of Worm
Stomach worms are also caused due to poor digestion systems. Turmeric also provides relief from stomach worms due to its digestive and anthelmintic properties.
23. Benefits of turmeric for stomach gas
Troubles in the stomach, gas, etc. also occur due to the slowing of the digestive system, which also spoils the digestive system. Turmeric, due to its hot properties, helps in making the digestive system healthy by increasing the digestive fire, thereby getting rid of the problem of gas.
24. Benefits of turmeric for anemia
Anemia in these conditions of anemia has also been seen to possess the benefits of turmeric. According to research, turmeric is beneficial in anemia due to its being anti-oxidant and hepato-protective, and according to Ayurveda, turmeric is beneficial in the condition of anemia and helps to increase blood as it has pandhu properties.
25. Benefits of Turmeric for Cancer
According to research, due to the anticancer properties found in turmeric, it can also prove to be beneficial in serious problems like cancer.
how to use turmeric
Turmeric is naturally rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidants. Because of this, its consumption increases our immunity. If you want the benefits of turmeric, then you can use turmeric for it in these ways –
- First of all, be aware that the quantity of turmeric is balanced. Do not consume more than half a teaspoon of turmeric throughout the day. One-fourth teaspoon or a little less turmeric can be added to lentils and vegetables. And among other things, a pinch of turmeric is also enough.
- Turmeric is used in almost every dish of an Indian kitchen. Add turmeric to any vegetable according to its need.
- Apart from this, you can add turmeric on a pinch in every dish of curry, smoothie, hot milk, salad, stir-fried dish, that is, as per your choice.
- Whenever you make soup for yourself at home, add a spoonful of turmeric powder to it.
- If desired, make a drink by mixing honey, lemon, and black pepper with turmeric powder in water. It is quite beneficial.
- If seen, turmeric supplements are also present, but raw turmeric is the best option. If you want, you can make a pudding of raw turmeric and consume one spoon of it daily in winter.
- You can also make turmeric tea. A little honey can be mixed in it for taste.
- You can also use turmeric as a face pack and ubtan.
Side Effects of Turmeric
Here we are giving information about the harm of turmeric –
- An excessive amount of turmeric can cause side effects. This can cause kidney stone problems. Oxalate (a type of organic acid present in foods) in turmeric can cause this.
- Excessive turmeric intake can cause stomach problems such as gastrointestinal problems.
- Side effects of turmeric also include anemia. In fact, excessive consumption of turmeric can lead to iron deficiency in the body, which can increase the risk of anemia.
- Excessive consumption of turmeric can cause bleeding problems along with vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.
- Talking about the loss of turmeric, the consumption of turmeric can also cause headaches and rashes on the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Should turmeric be eaten in jaundice or not?
In Ayurveda, turmeric has been described as a panacea for the treatment of jaundice. You can use it in many ways. Consumption of turmeric with whey is considered very beneficial in jaundice.
Which vitamin is found in turmeric?
In addition to vitamins C, E, turmeric is also found in fiber, calcium and protein. Due to the medicinal properties present in turmeric, it has been given a special place in the Ayurveda.
Is it safe to consume turmeric during pregnancy?
Consuming more turmeric during pregnancy can stimulate the uterus. Therefore, take turmeric at this time only if necessary. Raw turmeric should not be consumed in large quantities during pregnancy.
Who should not drink turmeric milk?
In fact, turmeric milk is very beneficial. But those who have problems with bile and kidney stones and have more bleeding problems, then they should not drink turmeric milk.
What happens if you drink raw turmeric?
It is believed that raw turmeric is more beneficial than dry turmeric. Raw turmeric is like a panacea, especially in winter.
How to eat turmeric?
You can also take turmeric with warm milk and water, to bring color and taste to your food. Turmeric is not commonly consumed directly.
What happens if you eat too much turmeric?
Pregnant women are at risk of miscarriage if they eat turmeric in excess. Apart from this, consuming it in large quantities reduces blood sugar very much.
Why use turmeric on the injury?
Turmeric is used as a herb in Ayurveda. Applying turmeric immediately on the injury reduces the risk of infection and provides relief in pain.
How To Store Turmeric?
Fresh and unpeeled turmeric should be kept in plastic and air-tight bag and kept in the refrigerator. This way it will stay fresh for two to three weeks. If you want, you can cut it and pack it well and keep it in the fridge. This way it will keep for about two months, just make sure the box is sealed properly and not dry. If you are buying turmeric powder then keep in mind that it is organic and keep it well sealed in an air-tight container.
I hope you will like this article. Here we have explained Turmeric And The Benefits Turmeric and its usage and Side Effects. if you have any query do comment down below, and if you like do share it with your friends and families. Stay connected with HealthyTrickz to get these kinds of articles.