Thyroid problem occurs mostly in women. But due to an unbalanced lifestyle, this problem has started increasing in men too. Thyroid symptoms are very similar in men and women.
In the early stages, this disease can cause weight gain, tiredness, and muscle weakness. These minor symptoms make the disease difficult to diagnose. But ignoring it can cost you heavily.
What is Low thyroid?
The thyroid is a disease that occurs due to unhealthy eating habits and stressful lifestyles. Actually, the thyroid is a butterfly-like gland, which is present in the throat. That is why it is also called the butterfly gland. Although this gland is very small in the body, it is very important for the body. Even many people do not even know about the thyroid gland, but now you need to know about it very much. This gland produces tetra iodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), two hormones that control how the body uses your cells’ energy. Your thyroid gland controls your metabolism through the release of these hormones.
Although the thyroid gland is very small, it is the most useful and hard-working gland in the body. Its biggest job is to develop all the parts of the body properly. For the proper development of the body, the thyroid gland produces a hormone called thyroxine.
types of thyroid Problems
There are mainly 4 sorts of thyroid problems, which are as follows-
- Hypothyroidism Thyroid- This is the main cause of thyroid, which is caused due to lack of thyroid hormone in the thyroid gland. Hypothyroidism thyroid is mainly seen in young children, whose treatment is possible through medicines.
- Hyperthyroidism Thyroid- This is another thyroid, which is caused by the build-up of excess tissue in the thyroid gland.
Hyperthyroidism is more than hormones within the thyroid.
- Goiter Thyroid- It is called goiter disease in common language, which mainly occurs due to lack of iodine in the body.
The doctor gives iodine medicine to the person affected by goiter, thanks to which the quantity of iodine becomes normal.
- Thyroid cancer- This is the most serious and final type of thyroid, which is curable only through surgery. Thyroid cancer occurs when the thyroid becomes a lump.
Symptoms of Low Thyroid or Thyroid
Some people may not remember when they got thyroid, but if they had noticed the symptoms, they might have been able to start treatment in time.
Therefore, if a person sees these symptoms, then he should be alert because it can be a sign of throat problem-
- If your life is more stressful then you may have thyroid problems.
- You can also have thyroid problems due to a low or high amount of iodine in the diet.
- This disease may be genetic. This means that if someone in your family has had this problem before, then you can have it too.
- Thyroid hormone imbalance is seen in many women during pregnancy. This is because many hormonal changes take place in the body of women during pregnancy.
- If you use too many soy products in your diet, you can still have thyroid.
Other causes of thyroid
Your thyroid gland is affected due to Hashimoto’s disease. This disease makes one part of the thyroid gland inactive.
- If the thyroid gland is swollen, you can still have this problem. In the beginning, there is more production of T3 and T4 and later it decreases. In such a situation, women get hypothyroidism. Usually, this problem occurs in pregnant women.
- Vitamin B12 also causes thyroid in many women.
Causes of Thyroid
Have you ever wondered what causes this throat disease after all? No, maybe that’s why people are not able to protect themselves from it.
There are many such elements in our daily routine, due to which thyroid can be caused, some of them are as follows-
- Iodine deficiency in the body- The problem of the thyroid is mainly due to the lack of iodine in the body.
Therefore, all people should consume such salt in their food, which is rich in iodine.
- Giving birth to a child- Many times it has been seen that thyroid also happens to those women who have recently given birth to a child.
However, this problem resolves on its own after some time, but if the thyroid is formed for a long time, then in that case the woman should get herself treated properly.
- Taking too much stress- Thyroid is more likely to occur in people who take a lot of stress.
That’s why everyone should try to manage stress.
- Having high blood pressure- If a person has high blood pressure or high blood pressure, then he is more likely to have thyroid.
Such a person should get his blood pressure treated properly so that he does not have other health problems.
- Diabetes – Often, the thyroid can also be caused by diabetes.
Therefore, a person suffering from this should try to control his diabetes.
Prevention of Thyroid
Thyroid problem can be prevented through the following measures, which are as follows:
- Stay away from products like tobacco or cigarettes.
- Do not use alcohol.
- Eat iodine-rich food.
- Avoid gluten-containing foods (eg: wheat, barley, oats, and millets).
- Reduce the use of milk products.
- Avoid exposure to toxic or harmful chemicals.
- Do not use fried things.
- Do regular exercise or yoga. For this, Bhujangasana, Halasana, Viparita-karni, Matsyasana and Dhanurasana can be done. It would be better if these yogasanas should be done only under the supervision of a trained yoga trainer.
- Keep checking the weight from time to time and get the thyroid checked if there is a change in weight.
Treatments for Thyroid
- Thyroid disease is treated in different ways. As a problem is arising in the glandular duct, then the doctor gives a dose of some antibiotics so that the thyroid can be reduced.
- If the person complains of a sore throat, the doctor first examines the person’s blood. The amount of TSH and TRM in the blood is seen to know whether there are symptoms of thyroid or not. Only after getting the results, the doctor prescribes antibiotics for treatment.
- Taking medicines sometimes leads to the possibility of cysts in the thyroid. The cyst can also cause other diseases, so doctors remove the cyst by surgery.
- If a person has cancer in the thyroid, then doctors treat it with the help of chemotherapy and radiation. If the condition of the thyroid becomes worse then the doctor may also decide to do surgery.
Diet For Thyroid
During the problem of the thyroid, your diet should be as follows-
- Consume low-fat foods in this disease.
- Consume more and more fruits and vegetables.
- Eat green leaves. They contain a fair amount of iron, which is beneficial for eliminating thyroid.
- Eat foods rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Eat things containing iodine.
- Consume more amount of nuts such as almonds, cashews, etc.
- Consume more amount of Vitamin A.
- Consume wheat and jowar.
thyroid home remedies
Here we are going to tell about home remedies for the thyroid, which can work to provide relief in this problem to a great extent. Make it clear that it is not possible for these home remedies to affect everyone because everyone’s physical capacity and thyroid condition are different. In such a situation, some remedies may affect some and not others. Therefore, along with treatment, one must definitely talk to the doctor before using these home remedies.
The thyroid can be treated indigenously with Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is classified as an adaptogenic herb. Adaptogens can help the body fight stress. This has been clearly recognized in an NCBI research on animals. It is mentioned in research that Ashwagandha can help in increasing thyroid hormone.
At the same time, according to another scientific research, Ashwagandha can prove to be helpful in the treatment of hypothyroid (non-production of thyroid hormone) patients. Despite this, it is important to note that its use as a way to avoid thyroid also depends on the condition of the thyroid of the person. Therefore, a doctor’s advice must be taken before using it to treat the thyroid disease.
Also Read: Benefits of Ashwagandha
2. Essential Oils
The use of essential oils can be helpful in case of symptoms of thyroid. Research on essential oils associated with aromatherapy suggests that inhaling them can help relieve fatigue caused by hypothyroidism. On this basis, it can be said that lightly massaging the affected thyroid gland with the help of essential oils and smelling their aroma can prove to be very effective.
However, it is not clear anywhere that which essential oil can be used for relief in this problem. Yes, in another research related to thyroid, some natural herbs have been considered beneficial as a remedy to avoid thyroid, whose essential oils are easily available in the market. These include many names like Lemon Balm, Sage, and Rose Merry. It would be good to consult a doctor once before using essential in thyroid problems.
The thyroid can also be treated indigenously with kelp if symptoms of thyroid are seen in the throat. It is a type of seaweed, which is found in the depths of the ocean. It is considered a major source of iodine. If someone has a thyroid problem due to iodine deficiency, then kelp can prove to be effective in this. On this basis, it can be considered as an Ayurvedic treatment for the thyroid. For now, further research is needed in this regard.
Guggul can also be used as an Ayurvedic treatment for the thyroid. It is obtained from the Guggul tree. Guggul contains guggulsterone, which has anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties, as well as the ability to help the thyroid function normally. Research on animals has found that the use of guggul can improve hypothyroidism. On this basis, it can be assumed that Guggulu home treatment may prove beneficial.
The thyroid can be treated at home with the help of vitamins. In fact, a study conducted on the role of vitamins in thyroid problems believed that certain vitamins may prove helpful in reducing the risk of this problem. The vitamins mentioned in the research are mainly Contains vitamin D along with vitamins A, C, E, B-6, B-12.
On this basis, it can be assumed that with the help of food or supplements rich in these vitamins, thyroid symptoms along with thyroid problems can be controlled to a great extent. Keep in mind, before taking vitamin supplements, you must consult your doctor once.
Flaxseed may also contribute to the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Hence, it can be considered as an Ayurvedic treatment for the thyroid. Actually, it contains omega 3 fatty acids, which may help reduce the risk of hypothyroidism. In such a situation, patients with hypothyroidism can consume flaxseed according to the advice of the doctor.
However, according to another medical research, excessive or long-term use of flaxseed can also be the cause of problems caused by goiter or iodine deficiency. Therefore, before taking a home treatment of thyroid with flaxseed, definitely consult a doctor or specialist.
Also Read: Benefits Of Flaxseed
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can prove to be a good remedy to treat the thyroid disease. It can help the thyroid gland to function properly by reducing thyroid symptoms. If a patient is taking thyroid medicine, then it would be better to consult a doctor before taking a home treatment of thyroid using virgin coconut oil.
Ayurvedic treatment of the thyroid is also possible with the help of ginger. Actually, ginger contains zinc, potassium, and magnesium. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which make it a good home remedy for the thyroid. Ginger can be used in a variety of ways to treat the thyroid. However, to treat thyroid disease, it is also necessary to take the medicine prescribed by the doctor along it.
9. Black Pepper
Thyroid disease can also be treated with the use of black pepper. Research conducted by Devi Ahilya Institute of Indore confirms that consuming black pepper can provide relief in thyroid problems. In this research-based on rats, it has been told that a special element called piperine is found in black pepper.
This element can help regulate thyroid hormones. At the same time, high amounts of piperine can also reduce the activity of the thyroid gland. On this basis, it can be believed that black pepper can prove to be helpful in removing the symptoms of low thyroid and treating thyroid disease at home. Provided it is consumed in moderation.
10. Coriander Leaves
Research related to coriander mentions that the extracts of the coriander plants and seeds have anti-thyroid (low thyroid hormone) properties. This property is due to the flavonoids present in the coriander. On this basis, along with coriander seeds, the extract of coriander leaves can also be considered useful in the problem of hyperthyroid.
However, research also mentions that the amount of flavonoids in coriander leaves is much higher than in the seeds. Therefore, excessive use of coriander leaves can also worsen the problem. In such a situation, using coriander seeds as a safe home thyroid treatment may prove to be a better option. In such a situation, this home remedy can help to relieve the symptoms of dry thyroid.
11. Gourd Juice
It is clear from different research that the consumption of gourd and gourd peel can be helpful in reducing enlarged thyroid. An NCBI research related to bottle gourd mentions that it may exhibit antithyroid (low thyroid hormone) properties due to the anti-oxidant effect present in gourd peel.
At the same time, research conducted by Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya of Indore found that the antithyroid effect is found in the special element periplogenin isolated from bottle gourd, which can reduce the increased thyroid hormone. Looking at both these facts, it can be assumed that gourd, as well as gourd peel, can prove to be useful to a great extent for the treatment of thyroid by reducing the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
Curd is also included in iodine-rich foods, which can be helpful in thyroid problems caused by iodine deficiency by replenishing iodine in the body. In addition, it can also help relieve the symptoms of thyroid disease. In such a situation, it would not be wrong to say that it can be used as an alternative to meet the deficiency of iodine.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be called a panacea for the thyroid. According to research by NCBI, apple cider vinegar can help in controlling the problem of obesity by controlling increased lipids and blood sugar. At the same time, you have already been told in the article that obesity is one of the risk factors of the thyroid.
On this basis, it can be assumed that correcting the impaired metabolic process of the body, can prove to be helpful in reducing the risk of the thyroid to some extent. Along with this, it can also be helpful in reducing the symptoms of thyroid disease. However, due to the lack of clear evidence, it is a bit difficult to say anything with certainty about how effective it will be in the treatment of the thyroid.
Also Read: Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Amla can also be used as a home remedy for hyperthyroid. It can also be called a panacea for hyperthyroidism. Research by Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya of Indore confirms that the consumption of amla can prove to be helpful in reducing the enlarged thyroid.
It is believed in research that the hepatoprotective (liver-protecting) properties present in amla can play an important role in this work. On this basis, it can be believed that gooseberry can be helpful in the treatment of the thyroid by reducing the symptoms of hyperthyroid.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be considered a panacea for thyroid. In a research journal published on Aloe Vera, aloe vera juice has been described as effective in the problem of hypothyroid. Research has found that daily consumption of 50 ml of aloe vera juice can work to improve the process of thyroid hormone production by increasing the activity of the thyroid gland. On this basis, it would not be wrong to say that aloe vera juice can prove to be a better option for the treatment of thyroid by reducing the symptoms of hypothyroid.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the symptoms of thyroid in women?
Symptoms of thyroid in women include feeling weak, gaining weight, feeling cold, feeling weak in muscles and joints, hair loss, feeling depressed, etc.
In how many days does the thyroid heal?
How long it takes for the thyroid to recover completely, often depends on your body. Apart from this, how soon you would like to beat this problem and what you’re trying for it also depends thereon. Because of this, how many days it will take for the thyroid to recover cannot be told.
How much should a thyroid be?
The normal level of thyroid in adults is 0.4 to 5 ml International Units.
Why does the thyroid gain weight?
In the condition of hypothyroidism, the metabolism of the body decreases, and due to this, the weight of women in this condition starts increasing very rapidly.
What are the problems with thyroid enlargement?
Enlargement of thyroid can make you gain weight, decrease energy. There can be many problems in sleeping etc.
Is a thyroid test done on an empty stomach?
It is not necessary that the thyroid test should be done on an empty stomach. It is told by the doctor that the thyroid test is to be done on an empty stomach or after a meal. A screening test for thyroid is done.
I hope you will like this article of ours on Benefits Of Giloy, Its Uses and Side Effect, if you have any query do comment down below, and if you like do share it with your friends and families.